A physical examination is an essential first step in safeguarding your pet’s wellness. However, in many cases, it isn’t enough. A responsible, ethical veterinarian will recommend diagnostics – further test s to better understand what is going on inside your pet for the best possible treatment plan. Dr. Rand Spongberg and his team share this information for pet owners near Irvine, CA.
Routine diagnostic testing
- Fecal exam – Your pet’s stool should be checked twice a year for signs of parasites and intestinal disease. If you notice obvious indications such as mucus, blood, or unusual color or consistency, it is a good idea to bring a sample in immediately. We perform a fecal floatation procedure, and check under the microscope for tapeworms, hookworms, roundworms, whipworms, and others.
- Heartworm test – This simple annual blood test can save your dog’s or cat’s life. We only need a small sample to check for this potentially fatal disease spread by mosquitos. Even indoor pets are susceptible. If your pet is on a preventive medication, just one missed dose can put him or her at risk.
- CBC – A complete blood count and serum chemistry panel should be performed once a year. Outward symptoms of some diseases and conditions don’t show up until your pet is quite sick. This blood work helps us determine if your pet is fighting infection, is anemic, and whether organs are functioning properly. It is indispensable in early detection of diabetes.
- Urinalysis – This should also be conducted as part of your pet’s annual physical examination. It reveals bladder infection or kidney problems.
Veterinary medicine has evolved by leaps and bounds in recent years. With routine tests and advanced diagnostics at All Creatures Care Cottage, we can uncover potential health threats early, for positive outcomes for you and your pet. Near the Irvine, CA area call 949-430-7576.
You want your dog or cat to live a long, healthy life. Are you wondering where to get vaccinations to protect your pet against harmful diseases? At All Creatures Care Cottage Veterinary Hospital in Costa Mesa, we offer immunizations as part of your pet’s routine healthcare.
Recommended vaccinations for dogs
- Rabies – The rabies virus attacks the brain and nervous system and is always fatal once symptoms are present. Rabies vaccinations are required by law.
- Canine distemper – This serious, sometimes fatal disease causes symptoms including vomiting, diarrhea, and seizures. We begin vaccinating against distemper around six weeks of age.
- Canine infectious hepatitis – This viral liver disease can be transmitted through urine or nasal/eye discharge and can result in severe health problems.
- Canine parvovirus – A highly contagious disease that causes vomiting, dehydration, and bloody diarrhea. Parvovirus can be fatal, especially for puppies.
- Canine parainfluenza – “Kennel cough” is contagious and spread through the air, causing coughing and sneezing.
- Bordetella – Bordetella is another cause of kennel cough and is highly contagious. This vaccination is recommended for dogs who will be boarded or visit dog parks regularly.
Suggested vaccines for cats
- Feline panleukopenia – “Feline distemper” is a viral infection like parvovirus. It can be fatal, particularly to kittens. Symptoms include vomiting, dehydration, and weakness.
- Feline viral rhinotracheitis – An upper respiratory infection that causes symptoms similar to the human cold. Infected cats are carriers of the herpes virus for the rest of their lives.
- Feline calcivirus – Another highly contagious respiratory infection, feline calcivirus can also cause painful ulcers on the tongue and throat.
When you get your newest family member, the best thing to do is discuss your pet’s health with your veterinarian. Ask about specific vaccinations needs. If you are in the Irvine area, All Creatures Care Cottage Veterinary Hospital is here to help – 949-430-7576.
None of us want to think of our furry friends needing surgery. However, sometimes, despite the best preventive care, your pet will need surgery. At All Creatures Care Cottage Veterinary Hospital, serving the Costa Mesa and Newport Beach area, we know the anguish that a surgery can cause. All of us are pet owners, which means we treat your pet with the compassion and care we want for our pets. This is why we offer experienced and qualified animal surgeons to care for your pet.
Some of the surgeries animals may need:
- Orthopedic surgeries to repair broken limbs and torn ligaments
- Tumor removal and biopsy
- Spaying and neutering
- Soft tissue procedures
Reason to choose us:
- Our veterinary surgeons have both extensive education (8 years!) and experience in treating your pets’ surgical needs.
- We never attempt procedures we feel unqualified for. If your pet needs a surgery we feel we can’t safely perform, we will ensure you get to the very best provider. We have spent years building and maintaining professional relationships with board-certified emergency facilities in the area.
- We educate and explain. We will never treat your animal without you knowing and understanding exactly what we are doing.
Even if you are not a current client with us, know that we will treat your animal with the utmost compassion and care. If you are a current client, trust that we have spent time getting to know your pets as the quirky and loving companions they are. Our goal is to see all our patients achieve the best health possible. You can rely on us to provide your furry friend with excellent, compassionate, and effective care. You can depend on us to be there when your pet and you need us most. Call us at 949-430-7576 to schedule an appointment.
Dr. Rand Spongberg and the staff of All Creatures Care Cottage take great pride in helping pet owners keep their four-legged friends happy and healthy! Costa Mesa area residents have found our facility to be welcoming and provide the comprehensive care they need to keep their dog or cat looking and feeling great. Pet parents should consider the benefits of dental cleanings for their pets.
Why dental cleanings?
Just like humans, our furry friends can develop infections and diseases in the mouth, such as periodontal disease and cavities. They can affect pets just as they do us – pets may experience swollen, sore gum tissues, pain while eating with cavities, and persistent bad breath due to the bacteria in the mouth. Dr. Rand Spongberg and his team can evaluate a pet during their visit and determine if they could benefit from quality dental cleanings.
How can I help my pet at home?
Many Costa Mesa area residents who have pets are interested in learning how they can take care of their pet’s dental health at home. Many pet stores offer special brushes and toothpastes that can be used to brush the teeth and gums at home. This removes food particles and can help in controlling oral bacteria.
Request an appointment today
Assessing your pet’s dental health is one way you can stay on top of their oral health care needs. If you have a concern about your pet’s oral health and wellness, it is critical that you contact a veterinarian team that offers dental cleaning in Costa Mesa. Call All Creatures Care Cottage today to book an appointment and discuss the benefits of cleaning and oral health care. Our friendly office team can schedule your visit with a phone call to (949) 430-7576. We are conveniently located at 1912 Harbor Boulevard.
When you are leaving your house for an extended period of time for vacation or out-of-town business trip, it is important to ensure your pets have the attention they require. This is even more crucial for pets who need regular medication. If you live in the Costa Mesa area, and are seeking reliable pet boarding, we encourage you to book an appointment to tour the facility at All Creatures Care Cottage.
What is the importance of pet boarding?
Some pets do not do well being left alone for long periods of time. Some dogs may become anxious while their owners are away, leaving them to chew and destroy furniture or items throughout the house. Pets with serious medical conditions that require the administration of medication require special attention. At All Creatures Care Cottage, we happily provide quality pet boarding which includes walks, playtime, and medication management. Pets receive care from a team of professionals trained to monitor their progress, and if any problems arise, they are in a veterinarian practice that can intervene immediately. Your neighbor or friend cannot offer this same quality of care that our team of professionals can.
Learn more about boarding services at All Creatures Care Cottage
It is crucial that pet parents board their four-legged friends with professionals they know and trust for quality care and attention. Dr. Rand Spongberg and the team of All Creatures Care Cottage understand the importance of building a positive relationship with a pet boarding service in the Costa Mesa area. If you plan on leaving your house for an extended period of time and are seeking boarding services for your dog or cat, we highly recommend calling our facility. We can be reached at (949) 430-7576 or by visiting our office at 1912 Harbor Boulevard in Costa Mesa, California.
Back to Boarding Homepage
Dr. Rand Spongberg and the team at All Creatures Care Cottage can help if you are seeking treatment solutions for your pet “near me” in Costa Mesa. This includes even the most basic of preventative services such as pet vaccinations.
What are vaccinations?
Vaccinations are injections that are done to protect a pet from certain preventable illnesses. Some of them are completed once a year, while others are done every several years. They can be used to protect pets from kennel cough, rabies, and other conditions that may develop. This is one of the best services we provide for your pet.
What is the importance of vaccinations?
Vaccinations are an important part of preventative care for any pet. Just as humans receive vaccinations for diseases, pets need vaccinations to keep them healthier and extend their lifespan as much as possible. Many conditions can be avoided by making sure pets have their vaccinations completed on a regular, scheduled basis.
During your first visit to All Creatures Care Cottage, pet parents are advised as to the vaccinations their pets could benefit from, as well as the schedule in which they should have their vaccinations completed. Over the years, the veterinarian may make suggestions as to additional vaccinations which may benefit the pet including those for kennel cough if they are boarded on a regular basis or are going to the groomers. Kennel cough is easily prevented with routine vaccinations at the veterinarian’s office.
Schedule a visit
If you are interested in getting your pet up to date on their vaccinations, contact our team of professionals at All Creatures Care Cottage to schedule an appointment for your beloved four-legged friend! Call us at (949) 430-7576 or by personally visiting us at our convenient location, 1912 Harbor Boulevard in Costa Mesa, California.
Back to Vaccines Homepage
As a pet owner, you want your pet to be as healthy as possible. Pet owners form a special bond with their animals, so knowing that they are happy and healthy is of utmost importance. All Creatures Care Cottage Veterinary Hospital, serving the Newport Beach area, believes that pet preventive care is the best way to ensure quality of life for your pet.
What is preventive care for pets?
- We start our wellness visits with a health evaluation. If your pet is a new patient, we will do a history that includes information about your pet’s breed, their age, what their lifestyle is, any behavior issues, and diet.
- A comprehensive physical exam: We will take your pet’s temperature, determine weight, and check pulse and respiration rates.
- Even for existing patients, we will do the above steps to track any possible health problems that have started since your last visit.
- Needed vaccinations: If you are a new client, we will set up a vaccination schedule for your pet.
- Diagnostics: We will test for heartworm, test fecal matter, and perform other tests, as needed.
Frequency of prevention visits:
For new puppies and kittens, visits are recommended every three to four weeks until about four months old. This allows us to track how they are developing and get all the required and recommended vaccines done. Adult animals typically only need to see us once a year.
Pet preventive care can stop a problem before it becomes serious. This not only saves your animal from unnecessary suffering, but also helps keep any treatment needed minimal and saves you money. As fellow pet owners, we know the joy that having a happy pet can bring. Give us a call (949) 430-7576 to schedule your pet’s preventive appointment! We treat your pet the way they deserve!
Back to Prescriptions and Preventive Care Homepage
Most of the time you and your pet will only see the veterinarian for routine visits. Your pet will be weighed, receive any necessary vaccinations, and get a friendly exam. But, sometimes, serious care is required. At All Creatures Care Veterinary Hospital, serving the Costa Mesa and Newport Beach areas, we know just how much your pet means to you. We have a surgical suite and experienced veterinary surgeons who are equipped to handle complex procedures.
As fellow pet owners, we know just how worrisome it can be when your companion needs surgery. We want to assure you that our surgeons have years of education and experience. We will not attempt a procedure we feel unqualified for, and will refer you to the very best specialist.
Education qualifications of veterinary surgeons:
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine: A four-year program that involves three years of coursework in the classroom and laboratory and a year of clinical rotations.
- Veterinary surgery residency: For a veterinarian to specialize in surgery, they must complete a one-year internship for general veterinary experience, then they go through a 3-year residency program.
Some of the surgeries we perform:
- Soft tissue procedures
- Orthopedic procedures
- Foreign body removal
- Tumor removal
- Spaying and neutering
- Tooth extractions
- Skin grafts
- Abscess removal
- Intestinal resections
All Creatures Care Cottage Veterinary Hospital treats all animals with clinically advanced compassionate care. We carefully evaluate your pet and get to know them and their medical history. This ensures we approach surgical intervention with caution. We also extend our compassion to our patients’ owners. We will never treat your animal without a full explanation of what we are doing.
Help your pet experience the happiness and health that our skilled staff makes possible. We give the kind of care your pet deserves. Give us a call at (949)-430-7576 to schedule a consultation.
Back to Surgery Homepage
Are you getting ready to adopt a new pet? Are you looking for a new veterinarian? All Creatures Care Cottage Veterinary Hospital serving the Costa Mesa and Irvine areas is staffed by pet owners. We treat all our patients the way we want our pets treated. Part of that is keeping your pet healthy and happy. We offer affordable pet vaccines just for this reason. Animal vaccinations are one of the most important tools in giving your animal a long and healthy life.
Why vaccinations are so important:
Vaccines prevent illnesses that can affect your pets. They prepare your pet’s immune system to fight off the disease or to reduce the severity of it.
Types of vaccines:
- Core vaccines: These are considered vital to your pet’s health due to the risk of exposure, severity of the illness, or how contagious it is to humans. Rabies vaccinations are the most well-known core vaccine.
- Non-core vaccines: These are determined by your pet’s age, medical history, the environment they spend their time in and lifestyle.
The importance of choosing the right veterinarian:
For your animal to receive the most well-rounded vaccinations, you want a provider who will get to know you, your pet, and your lifestyle. This helps us choose both the non-core vaccines used and the frequency of the vaccines. We care deeply for every animal that comes through our door. We will work with you to ensure that your pet has the best vaccination schedule for them. We won’t force you into unnecessary treatments and will always keep the needs of your pet at the top of our list.
Call All Creatures Care Cottage Veterinary Hospital today at (949) 430-7576 to schedule an appointment. Get your pet on the optimal vaccination schedule. We give the kind of care your pet deserves!
At All Creatures Care Cottage Veterinary Hospital, our veterinary team works closely with families to help extend the life and quality of life of pets. Preventative care is one way to achieve this. Costa Mesa area families should fully understand the importance of preventative pet care and how it can impact their pet’s quality of life, and their longevity.
Preventative care means being proactive about pets’ health. It typically requires pet parents to bring their animals in on a regular basis for routine examinations. At least once a year, families should bring their family pet into All Creatures Care Cottage Veterinary Hospital for an evaluation to assess their health and wellbeing. Immunizations may be administered, and families can ask any questions they may have about their pets’ health. Whether it’s a puppy or an elderly senior cat, we have the tools available to address any issues that may arise. We also offer emergency care for those unexpected situations that can cause worry and concern.
What is involved in preventative care?
Preventative care focuses on routine evaluations. This may be checking the pet’s fur, skin, teeth, nails, and eyes. Discussing medications, daily care, and diet is part of an evaluation.
Why preventative care?
Many pet parents tend to be reactive to their pet’s health rather than proactive. Preventative care helps reduce the risk of a variety of conditions that may threaten a pet’s health and wellbeing. We encourage families to bring their pets into the practice at least once a year for an examination and for any appropriate immunizations to ensure their health is extended. Visit our state-of-the-art veterinary practice at 1912 Harbor Boulevard or make an appointment by calling (949) 430-7576. We encourage new pet families to find out what sets our practice apart from the rest in the Costa Mesa area.