Wondering where to get pet vaccinations? Costa Mesa vet offers inoculations for dogs and cats
You want your dog or cat to live a long, healthy life. Are you wondering where to get vaccinations to protect your pet against harmful diseases? At All Creatures Care Cottage Veterinary Hospital in Costa Mesa, we offer immunizations as part of your pet’s routine healthcare.
Recommended vaccinations for dogs
- Rabies – The rabies virus attacks the brain and nervous system and is always fatal once symptoms are present. Rabies vaccinations are required by law.
- Canine distemper – This serious, sometimes fatal disease causes symptoms including vomiting, diarrhea, and seizures. We begin vaccinating against distemper around six weeks of age.
- Canine infectious hepatitis – This viral liver disease can be transmitted through urine or nasal/eye discharge and can result in severe health problems.
- Canine parvovirus – A highly contagious disease that causes vomiting, dehydration, and bloody diarrhea. Parvovirus can be fatal, especially for puppies.
- Canine parainfluenza – “Kennel cough” is contagious and spread through the air, causing coughing and sneezing.
- Bordetella – Bordetella is another cause of kennel cough and is highly contagious. This vaccination is recommended for dogs who will be boarded or visit dog parks regularly.
Suggested vaccines for cats
- Feline panleukopenia – “Feline distemper” is a viral infection like parvovirus. It can be fatal, particularly to kittens. Symptoms include vomiting, dehydration, and weakness.
- Feline viral rhinotracheitis – An upper respiratory infection that causes symptoms similar to the human cold. Infected cats are carriers of the herpes virus for the rest of their lives.
- Feline calcivirus – Another highly contagious respiratory infection, feline calcivirus can also cause painful ulcers on the tongue and throat.
When you get your newest family member, the best thing to do is discuss your pet’s health with your veterinarian. Ask about specific vaccinations needs. If you are in the Irvine area, All Creatures Care Cottage Veterinary Hospital is here to help – (949) 430-7576.Back to Blog News Page